Members of the Pell City government, including the mayor, fire and police chiefs and city council, met Monday night at City Hall for a Capital Improvement meeting for Fiscal Year 2020-2021.
There were various speakers from multiple departments making proposals before Council President Jud Alverson.
Departments, speakers and notable proposals are listed as follows:
Greg Gossett, Street Department
- The streetlight by Publix needs to be repaired and reconfigured on its loop.
- Multiple railroad crossings are in need of repair.
- Industrial Drive needs to be paved.
- Need a power generator to be fixed/purchased. According to Gossett, they still could have been in operation in case a storm took out the power, such as the one that came through Pell City a few weeks ago.
Paul Irwin, Police Department
- The purchase of an animal transport vehicle for Animal Control. According to Irwin, this would ensure the safe transport of animals and aid workers in their everyday tasks.
- Three patrol vehicles
- Five unmarked Tahoes
Tim Kurzejeski, Fire Department
- Paint modifications for a fire truck
- The department and council expressed a desire to work on the response rate for some of the older fire stations by finding a way to improve traffic around the stations.
Bubba Edge, Parks & Recreation
- Edge wants to purchase a miniature service fan to deliver meals to homebound seniors.
- The Civic Center needs audio and video equipment to be installed.
- Parts of the Lakeside Park Walking Trail are in need of repairs.
- Edge wants a restroom facility for the Avondale Walking Track.
There are multiple proposals to improve sports in the area, including:
- Purchasing a complete volleyball system for the Sports Civic Center. This would allow for the creation of a youth volleyball league.
- Adding a playground in between the baseball and softball fields
- Connecting the baseball and softball fields with an asphalt walkway
- Adding roofs and lights to the batting cages
- Removing and installing LED lights at the sports complex
Brian Muenger, City Manager
- Proposal to update the servers needed for telework and other forms of IT
- Proposal for the upfitting of firetrucks for the Fire Department